In 2017, Scotland sold £735 million worth of exports to Switzerland. This is 2.3% of Scotland’s total international exports. Between 2013 and 2017, Scottish exports to Switzerland increased by an average of 12.5% each year.
The benefits of selling to Switzerland
The World Bank rates Switzerland as the 38th easiest country in the world to do business with.
Switzerland’s a good place to export to because it:
- has a highly skilled work force
- has an excellent public infrastructure
- values new ideas for products and services
- spends a lot on research and development
- has reliable laws and regulations
- sits in the centre of Europe
It’s also a good place for Scottish businesses to export to because:
- English is widely spoken
- it has similar laws and regulations
- it has a high standard of living, so people have money to spend
- it has lots of people from different cultures, looking to buy different things
What we could sell more of
In Switzerland, the key sectors where Scotland could sell more are:
- computer programming and IT
- financial services
- chemical sciences
- manufacture of computer, electronic and optical equipment
Top opportunities in Switzerland
- Life sciences
- Food and drink
- Financial and business services
- Technology, digital and media
Help with exporting in Switzerland
Scottish Development International offices
Scottish Development International have an office in Bern. They have one member of staff focussing on science and technology.
The GlobalScot network has 17 experts in Switzerland covering:
- financial services
- life sciences
We’re going to expand the GlobalScot network in Switzerland.
Department for International Trade
You can contact the Department for International Trade team in Switzerland to find opportunities for doing business there.
British-Swiss Chamber of Commerce
The British-Swiss Chamber of Commerce helps its members to work with other businesses in Switzerland, Britain and Liechtenstein. It:
- helps businesses to connect and network
- has specialist teams on public affairs, legal issues and tax
- provides a business support service and free publications to members
It has groups that meet in:
- Central Switzerland
You can find more help with exporting.
You can also find more information on exporting to Switzerland in A Trading Nation.